5 Things to consider when choosing a BJJ school.
Have You ever wonder how you can choose the right BJJ gym to start training at??
Im going to give 5 tips on how to choose the right BJJ school
- Cleanliness-Is it clean?? When you first walk into the school Does it pass the eye and smell test?? Not only that but are the people who are in class are they clean? Do their uniforms look clean. You’re going to be in close contact with these people you want to make sure they are have proper hygiene. This falls on the school itself to have a proper hygiene etiquette within the school. The last thing you want to get is a skin infection because the school. Here we clean the mats everyday and have a strict hygiene policy. So you if you stink we will let you know.
- Schedule-First, figure your schedule on what days you are able to train. And see if the school has something that matches it. Or maybe you switch some things around to make it during your appropriate class times. We have a full schedule with classes Monday-Saturday. Day and evening classes as well.
- Structure-Ask what the structure of the classes and the program is. If they can not answer that question then I would move on. Structure is really important when you are first starting off. It will ensure you are starting on the right foot. It will also make sure everything is safe and you’re not thrown into mix and forgotten about. I’ve heard horror stories of people being thrown into the mix and being yelled because they don;’t know what they’re doing. NO JOKE! Look for a school that has a beginners program ready help you get started.
- Environment-During your visit to a school observe the environment of the school. Were you greeted when you walked in? Did the instructor take their time to come over and talk to you during your visit? Also look at how the students interact with each other. Are they having fun? Are they getting a good workout? You can tell if the tension is high when you walk into a room. Take in the atmosphere. Honestly ask yourself if you can see your self training, learning and progressing here.
- Price-I put this last but it might be first on a lot peoples list. I understand you have to find a school that will fit your budget. So it is important for a school to have a variety of options to choose from. But I will say this cheaper doesn’t always mean better. For example look at what we have in our pockets, a smartphone, if cheaper was better than we all would have $20 flip phones. But we don’t! Why do we buy these phones? Because of the features and the benefits we get from using them. A great camera that captures great moments, faster access to information and a quicker way to communicate with friends and loved ones.
With the rise in popularity in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu schools and programs are popping up all over the place. Its important to weigh all these options so you can choosing the right jiu-jitsu school for you.
Lake County Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is proud to serve Mundelein, Vernon Hills, and Libertyville area. If you want more info about our adult Adult Brazilian jiu-jitsu program. Please visit https://www.lakecountybjj.com/program/bjj/