PARENTS: 5 Things to consider when choosing a martial arts school.
Martial arts in general can be very beneficial for children and adults. You can read about the benefits of martial arts for kids at https://www.lakecountybjj.com/how-does-martial-arts-help-kids/
You made the decision for your child(ren) to start. Now its time to look for the right school. Which martial art is the best one?? We are biased and think every child should train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu. But we understand that not everyone lives near a BJJ school.
So here are 5 things for parents to consider when choosing a martial arts school.
- Structure-YEP! When making first contact with the school of your choice that is the first question you as a parent should ask. What is the structure of the program? Classes? Are kids mixed in together? Are they separated by ages? Is there a clear path of success set up for them? Who’s in charge of the class? This is an important aspect parents should be curious about. How do you know you get what you’re paying for.
- Life skills program-Martial arts schools will tell you that their program will build your child’s confidence, and help them become leaders. BUT how? Does the school have a life skills curriculum? Are schools relating the successes and failures your child encounters to everyday life? At Lake County BJJ we have a program that is unique to our school called the Code of 26. Every week we talk to your child about a specific code and how it relates to their life at home, school, and at jiu-jitsu. Kids will get a weekly homework assignment about the code. We hope that you and your child will sit down and have a conversation about the code. It’s a win for everyone involved. The more your child hears about the importance of having confidence, integrity, honesty, and perseverance, the more likely your child will develop those traits.
- Cleanliness– When you finally walk into the school that you want to visit or try ask yourself, is it clean? Take a look around does it look organized? How about the student population are they clean? Are the uniforms clean? Are there sick kids running around? Lake County BJJ strives hard to instill self-respect in all our students and that includes presenting themselves in clean uniforms and gear. We have a strict hygiene policy.
- Fun-Are the kids having fun? Yes the kids should be following directions, and learning but it shouldn’t be unbearable for a child to be there. Classes should be a good mix of sweating, learning, and smiling.
- Price-We know sometimes families will consider this the first item to consider. We understand that families are on a budget. But if everything aligns price should be the last thing to consider. Cheaper isn’t always better. Don’t believe me, check your phone, why isn’t a flip phone??
Brazilian jiu-jitsu is more than an activity for your child to do between seasons or for only a couple of months. It is a life style and something a child can do for years and years to come.
We invite everyone to come in and observe a class. Then we can set up a 1 on 1 lesson for your child, to make sure your child is ready to take on the challenge.
For more info about our program please visit https://www.lakecountybjj.com/program/kids-martial-arts/
Or if are ready to set up a 1 on 1 click here https://lakecountybjj.com/offer/kids-martial-arts
Lake County Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu proudly serves the Mundelein, Vernon Hills area. Check out our website
http://www.lakecountybjj.com for more information about all of the programs we offer. Follow us at
See you on the mats,